2013 National Youth Advocate Application Guidelines
* Deadline: August 31, 2012 *
A) National Youth Advocate Obligations
Commit to a one-year term as the American Diabetes Association’s National Youth Advocate. Attend training at the American Diabetes Association National Office in Alexandria, VA in January 2013.
Work in close coordination with Association staff and volunteers to communicate diabetes advocacy message as directed by ADA staff via speaking engagements, ADA website, media and directly to policymakers.
Serve on National Advocacy Committee as Ex Officio member and attend 2 meetings (spring and fall).
Commit to working with staff to keep an up-to-date blog and Facebook page as the National Youth Advocate. The candidate will commit to two blog submissions per month and one National Youth Advocate Facebook page update per week.
Travel to Diabetes Camps, our Call to Congress (in years that event takes place), and other Association events throughout the year to speak to and motivate kids and adults around the country about how to make a difference in the fight against diabetes through advocacy.
B) National Youth Advocate Requirements
In order to be considered for the National Youth Advocate position, you must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 17 as of September 16, 2012
- Have type 1 or type 2 diabetes
* Note: children of Association staff and children of ADA Advocacy Committee members are ineligible *
C) Application Checklist
Please make sure your application includes the following documents and all portions of the application are submitted by email to NYA@diabetes.org:
- Essay questions (submit where indicated below)
- A photo (Profile Picture is preference as you would see on Facebook. Submit and provide file name where indicated below)
- Letter of recommendation from a non-family member (submit and provide file name below)
- URL of a video of yourself speaking on YouTube or a link to a video of media coverage you have received (If you need instruction on how to upload a video onto YouTube, please contact us with your questions and we will be happy to assist you.)