Support Me in Tour de Cure!
I am in charge of this fantastic event. Each year I am inspired by all those I meet living with diabetes. Mari Ruddy, Red Rider Founder (Red Riders are those riding with diabetes) had been living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 16 when at the age of 39 she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Mari described her experience with battling breast cancer as "brutal" but in retrospect she realized that while the experience with having cancer was brutal, it has a start and end date... it had a defined block of time. Diabetes, on the other hand, is relentless; it never stops. Diabetes was with her before, during and now after her ordeal.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Every 17 seconds someone is diagnosed with diabetes.
- $1 in $5 health care dollars is spent caring for someone with diagnosed diabetes.
- 25.8 million people in the US are living with diabetes, including 7 million who do not know they have it.
- About 1 in every 400 children and adolescents have diabetes.
- If current trends continue, 1 in 3 adults could have diabetes by 2050 unless we take steps to Stop Diabetes®
- More people die from diabetes than breast cancer and AIDs combined.
The leading cause of adult blindness
The leading cause of heart disease, stroke, and renal failure
The leading cause of lower limb amputation
Please support me and help Stop Diabetes by clicking on the "Donate to Barb" button. Do it in honor of those YOU know living with diabetes! Or "Join My Team"!