Welcome to Rick's Personal Page
Thank you for visiting my personal page, and I hope you will support me and Team Red in the 2020 North Texas Tour de Cure®.
Team Red is a group of people many (like me) living with diabetes and all dedicated to helping the American Diabetes Association efforts in research, community education and protecting the rights of those living with diabetes. [Yes, that includes the current hot topic: drug costs. You have any idea of the cost of all the insulin I go through?]
I got involved with the Tour de Cure® in 2018 after visiting the largest one in the country that year. It inspired me. First as a personal "recovery" goal, since I had lost 32% of my body mass and couldn't walk a 1/4 mile by the time I was diagnosed with diabetes. Secondly, because it is a worthy cause and I (unknowingly at the time) have personally benefitted from the "good works" of the American Diabetes Association.
More than 30 million Americans, including me and some family members and friends, deal with the daily challenges of living with diabetes. Did you know?
- Diabetes claims the lives of over 200 people every day, more than AIDS and breast cancer combined.
- About every 21 seconds, someone gets the bad news, "you have diabetes".
- That's over 4,100 people newly diagnosed with diabetes every day.
- You spread awareness of the devastating effects of diabetes.
- You advocate for a child discriminated against in school because of diabetes.
- You fund life-saving research.
- You provide access to community programs and free resources that help those living with diabetes.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.