Welcome to My Tour de Cure Web Page!
Support Me in Tour de Cure and/or Join my Team!
It is that time already again--as I and many others are prepping for the Napa Valley Tour de Cure. Many of you know I have been involved with the American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/), and their efforts to find a cure for the insidious disease which affects greater than 30 million(!) Americans. On May 7 2017, I will once again be riding 100 miles in the Napa County Tour de Cure to raise money and support the American Diabetes Association (ADA). I have been participating in this event since 2003. Please support me with a donation by selecting the "Sponsor Me" button. Our efforts will help set the pace in the fight against diabetes. So let's get in gear and ride to Stop Diabetes!
Perhaps some of you will join me in riding this year; ride lengths vary from 10 to 100 miles, so nearly everyone can participate. Alternatively, there are many volunteering opportunities available. The ADA needs volunteers on both Saturday April 30th, as well as on the day of the event May 7th. If volunteering is something you may be interested in, please go to http://diabetes.org/napatourvolunteer for more information.
This year, as in the past, I have formed a team called "Big C Express." The name derives from The Big C Health Club where many friends ride together (albeit indoors most of the time), and get together to participate in the Napa Tour de Cure. I would love for you to join the team! If you plan to ride, it is a great way to participate. However, riding is not mandatory to join the team, and neither is membership at The Big C. If you are already registered, or planning to register, team membership is a no-brainer :D Let me know if you need help registering—look for the “Join My Team” tab.
I have again set some rather lofty goals this year:
- Personally raise at least $10,000 (in 2016, with your help I was able to raise $7900!).
- Make the “Top Ten List” for individual donors (again!).
- Increase the Big C Express team size to at least 10 members.
- Increase the Big C Express team contributions to at least $15,000.
These are ambitious, but with your help, and some quality training hours, all are possible!
I want to share few ominous facts regarding diabetes:
- Every 19 seconds another person is diagnosed.
- Over 30 million Americans are living with diabetes; over 86 million Americans have prediabetes--Together that is one in four Americans, equal to the populations of California, Texas , and New York combined!
- One in three children will have diabetes in their lifetime.
- This year in the United States diabetes will kill more people than AIDS and breast cancer combined.
- Cost to the Nation is now estimated at greater than $274 billion in healthcare and lost productivity.
- In the next 24 hours: diabetes will claim the lives of 200 people, and another 130 people will develop kidney failure because of diabetes. In 2010 it was the seventh leading cause of death in the USA.
- Lastly, not to discount the impact AIDS and cancer have on our society, but the following figures are remarkable: 29.1 million Americans are living with diabetes; funding per affected person is $34.60. 13.4 million Americans are living with cancer; funding per affected person is $393.67. 1.1 million Americans are living with AIDS; funding per affected person is $2,523.95.
I continue to ride in honor of my friend Joe Zalla, who organized the first team with which I rode my first 100 miles for the ADA, and Olivia Vogele (whose father & grandfather are very special to me), and many others, to support my friends with diabetes, and to raise awareness and money for this important cause. Each mile I ride, and the funds I raise will be used in the fight to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
No matter how small or large, your generous gift will help improve the lives of millions of Americans who suffer from diabetes, in the hope that future generations can live in a world without this disease. Together, we can all make a difference! While this request is fresh, do consider making even a small donation.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and to perhaps make a contribution to this cause that is so important to me! I am blessed with good health and know that not everyone is as fortunate--please make a difference. If you have gotten this far, thank you for your patience & your past support, whether that has been financial and/or spiritual!
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.