Welcome to my Personal Page
Welcome to my Tour de Cure page!
When I joined the American Diabetes Association in October of 1995 I never imagined that I would still be working for the same organization 25 years later. I also could not have conceived of managing a Virtual Tour de Cure, but here we are, making the best of it and keeping in mind what is more important than ever, the mission of the American Diabetes Association, especially when we have sadly learned this year that people with diabetes account for 40% of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., when they make up only 10% of our population. Even those that survive are suffering worse bouts of illness and long-lasting complications.
In 1995 when I joined the American Diabetes Association we spoke about 13.5 million Americans with diabetes, and this year we talk about more than 34 million Americans with diabetes and another 88 million with prediabetes. Current predictions are for 50 million Americans by 2050. After a strategic reorganization in the face of COVID-19 and the new eonomic reality that all non-profit organizations have faced this year, we have re-focused efforts on 'bending the curve' downwards for the future. Your support can make a meaningful difference in making this happen. I hope I can count on your support.
Help Me Reach My Goal!
When you donate:
- You help advocate for the safety and health of children and employees with diabetes as they return to schools and their workplaces.
- In this year of COVID-19 you help us add impetus to our ongoing effort to make Insulin Affordable, never more important than now as so many have lost jobs, insurance coverage and are having to make tough decisions about whether they pay for groceries, utility bills or the lifesaving insulin they need to survive from day to day.
- You help launch our new HealthEquityNow campaign that acknowledges in a new and important way how the need for social justice and the new understanding of social determinants of health have inspired the ADA to lead the way in forming a new business-government-NGO coalition that is intervening with disadvantaged communities whose incidence of diabetes is much higher while access to health, education, healthy food and exercise opportunities is much lower.
- You fund lifesaving research for type 1, type 2, gestational diabetes and prediabetes. You also help fund newly approved research grants that are just beginning to explore the relationship between diabetes and COVID-19 -- to perhaps find a mechanism, a treatment, a prevention that will protect people with diabetes from the worst outcomes of the virus.
- You provide access to community programs and free resources such as our 1-800-DIABETES Call Center whose trained and dedicated staff are working harder than ever to help twice the number of people calling for help and resources this year than ever before.
- You provide emergency diabetes supplies and insulin to people who have lost their homes due to devastating hurricanes, wildfires, floods and other declared disasters.
In honor of my 25th year with the American Diabetes Association, I hope you will consider a donation of $25 - or perhaps some fraction or multiple, depending on your ability this year. My actual anniversary falls on October 11th and our Virtual Tour de Cure is scheduled for October 18th.
In spite all the challenges and frustrations of this year, I am prouder than ever to work for an organization that is more singularly and strategically focused on initiatives that can make a meaningful difference in this changing time for people with diabetes now and those at risk in the future.Thank you for helping me 'bend the curve' on our diabetes epidemic within a time of pandemic and helping the people that need help.
I hope you, your family and the important people in your lives are well and coping as best we all can in this challenging time.
All the best,
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.