Thank YOU for participating in the National Capital Tour de Cure. Your passion, determination, dedication, and support made this year are best ever! Your commitment to the event was inspiring and we deeply appreciate your devotion to make the 2013 Nation Capital Tour de Cure a great success. Your incredible fundraising efforts will help fund research to prevent, cure, and manage diabetes; deliver services to hundreds of communities; provide objective and credible information; and give voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes!
Thank you for your support and we look forward to hosting you again in 2014!
Did You Know...
You can still raise money towards this year's Tour de Cure. You have until June 30th to raise additional funds towards both your personal or team goals. This means more time time to raise money for an awesome Thank You gift. To see how much you need to raise for the Thank You gift you want check out our prize page. We will be senidng out prize codes to all of our qualifying riders in mid-July after we finalize your inspiring totals!
Being able to raise money until the end of the month also means there is still time to become a Champion! Champions are individuals who have raised $1,000 or more individually. We currently have over 140 Champions and we want you to become one of them. Champions are invited to an exclusive thank you dinner on July 25th at the Carlyle Club in Alexandria!
To see all of our photos on Flickr (or download them to your computer), click here.
We will also be posting photos to Facebook. Click the links below to see some of our photos on Facebook (A Facebook account is not needed to view the photos):
Tour de Cure 2013 - Volume 1
Tour de Cure 2013 - Volume 2
Tour de Cure 2013 - Volume 3
Tour de Cure 2013 - Volume 4
If you have a photo you would like to submit please send it to BChase@diabetes.org.
Champions to Stop Diabetes
Are you a Champions? As of June 2nd, over 140 of you have become Champions to Stop Diabetes! Thank you for all of your incredible work fundrasing for Tour de Cure. We hope that you will join us on July 25th at the Carlyle Club in Alexandria, VA for a special Champions Dinner! Be sure to check your mail and email for further details!
If you raise $1,000 or more:
You will automatically become a Champion to Stop Diabetes and will receive special recognition on the weekend of the event, along with special perks all year long!
If you raise $2,600 or more:
In honor of the 26 million Americans living with diabetes, you will become a Champion on a Mission and will receive the coveted gold Champions jersey.
Q: What should I do with checks?
A: Please make out all check to the American Diabetes Association. You can mail checks with a note explaining whose fundraising total it should count towards to:
American Diabetes Association
Attn: Tour de Cure
1400 16th Street NW, Suite 410
Washington, DC 20036
You can continue to fundraise and send us checks for this year's Tour until June 30th.
Q: When will I recieve my prize/jersey?
A: Riders have until June 30th for their fundraising dollars to count towards their prize level. The prize levels as well as offers can be found by clicking here. By mid-July, you will receive an email with a special redemption code to redeem your Thank You Gift online by clicking here or on the link you will recieve.
Q: Why is the money I turned in at Tour not showing up online? / When will it show up?
A: It will not show up online unless you enter it. To enter any checks or cash you donated go to your Tour Center and click on the black Progress button at the top. On this page should be a link that reads Enter Check/Cash Donation. Follow the directions and the money will show up in your online total. This is just so it will show up in your total online. We will have a record of your donation either way.
Want To Ride Again
Here are the details for all of our routes. If you want to test out a route for next year (do it!) or just want to go on a fun ride we want to provide you with a map. You can dowload cuesheets from the links and ridewithgps.com.
- 14 Mile Fun Ride: Safe, leisurely trail-only route for any level of rider, which follows the W&OD Trail to a fun rest stop at the historic Vienna Station and Caboose and then returns back to Reston by the same route. Check out the route here.
- 20 Mile Fitness Test Ride: This route provides an eastbound trail-only extension to the 14 Mile Fun Ride route beyond Vienna Station along the W&OD Trail to a water stop at Idylwood Park and back to provide an added challenge to your fitness. Check out the route here.
- 35 Mile Road Challenge Ride: This metric half century plus (50+ km) route challenges beginning to intermediate level road riders to venture out on local roadways and the W&OD Trail west to Ashburn and beyond and then back to Reston. Check out the route here.
- 56 Mile or 68 Mile Blue Ridge Rider's Choice Ride:This ride features a combined route which gives intermediate road riders the choice of riding a 56 mile half century or an optional 12-mile extension route. Check out the 56-miler here, and the 68-miler here.
- 82 Mile Virginia Horse Country Ride: This challenging but rewarding route - for avid riders only - tours the Virginia horse country south of Purceville. Check out the route here.
- 108 Mile Serco Century Challenge Ride: This epic century route tours the Virginia horse country and Goose Creek Valley south and west of Middleburg. Check out the route here. There is also a shortcut option to make this ride into an 87-mile route. (Sponsored by Serco North America)
Tour de Cure Fundraising Milestones and Apparel
Tour participants can earn a variety of exciting gifts as a thank you for reaching various fundraising levels! Check out the Thank You Gift Redemption site for info on the gifts at each level.
- $250: Minimum
- $500: Commemorative Tour jersey
- $750: Dry fit t-shirt (instead of cotton)
- $1,000: You qualify as a Champion to Stop Diabetes! VIP check in, Medal ceremony, Champions Dinner invitation
- $2,600: Gold commemorative Tour jersey, Champion Bike Tag, and new for Red Riders: 2013 Tour Red Rider Jacket
Red Rider Apparel
Rider Cycling Jacket
Rider Cycling Shorts
that raise $2,600 or more will
receive this cycling jacket.
Each Red Rider
to raise $1,000 or more will receive these Red Rider cycling shorts.
Rest and Relaxation Contest!
Every $25 raised online between June 11 and June 30th gives you one entry into a drawing for a two day, one night stay at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria, VA and a $75 gift certificate to the nearby restaurant, Jackson 20!
Rules of the Road!
Don't forget to continue biking! Exercise is just one of the keys to preventing and managing diabetes!
Obey all traffic laws. Bicycles should be treated just like any other vehicle on the route.
Use hand signals to indicate turns and stops. Make the signal well before you turn or stop.
Ride single file. You are always sharing the roads and trails with others. Try to stay single file so others can pass you. Pass on the left.
Use your voice to alert other riders of your presence and potential dangers. “Passing on your left!”
For courses on safe riding habits contact the Washington Area Bicyclist Association or your local bike shop.
Tweet Your Ride!
Please check out some of the amazing tweets from the ride by searching #TourdeCureDC.
Don't tweet while on your bike!
Got a Question?
Trouble using the Tour Center? Email Ben at BChase@diabetes.org
for all of your website questions.
Connect With Us!
Top Teams & Riders