We look forward to celebrating our Living Red participants (riders, runner, and walkers with type 1 or type 2 diabetes), Champions (participants who raised $1,000 or more) and all our teams and participants on Saturday, September 8! Tour de Cure is a celebration of your hard work and dedication in the fight to end diabetes and all its burdens.
Whether you choose to ride your bike, run or walk all the roads we take lead to the same destination to fundraise for a cure.
Below you will find all the information you need to know about what to expect on event day. If you have any questions, please contact Alex.
Online registration will close at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, September 6. Anyone wishing to participate after that deadline can register the day of Tour. All walk-on participants will be responsible for the $35 walk-on registration fee and the $250 fundraising minimum.
Need Help Registering? Submit a question or call (703)549-1500 x1438. Support Specialists are available Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm(EST), except holidays
All participants must be at the $250 fundraising minimum to participate. Anyone not at the $250 minimum will be asked for check, cash, commitment or credit card to cover any remaining balance. Your Participant Center will remain open through the event for your continued fundraising.
If you are interested in making hotel accommodations for the weekend of the event, we encourage you to consider the Hyatt Regency in Reston Town Center. Contact the hotel directly and reference the NOVA Tour de Cure for reservations.
Diabetes doesn't slow down for bad weather and neither do we! We will ride, run or walk rain or shine! Please check the forecast and make sure to dress/pack accordingly. In the case of extreme weather, keep an eye on our website for any updates.
Bike Tune Ups with Velofix
We encourage all riders to have their bikes tuned up prior to Saturday. Our friends at Velofix have a fleet of mobile bike shops for those located in the Northern Virginia area and they will come to you. Velofix has agreed to accept same day appointments all this week up until Saturday, so take advantage while the time slots are still available!
Why take the risk? Let Velofix conveniently come to you at a time of your choosing! Choose a date, time and location that suits your needs, and a Velofix Technician will meet you in their mobile bike shop.
Route Maps & Information
Choose your distance and know that every mile helps make a difference. All routes will be fully supported with route safety vehicles, mechanical support, and rest stops stocked with water, Gatorade, bananas, oranges, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, granola bars and other assorted snacks. The 5K will have a water stop with no snacks.
Take a look at the route maps below. Each route will follow designated color markings, please watch for route signs to indicate where routes separate and to guide you along the course.
- 106M Ride Route Map - Follow Yellow Markings
- 55M Ride Route Map - Follow Red Markings
- 35M Ride Route Map - Follow Green Markings
- 20M Ride Route Map - Follow Blue Markings
- 5K Run/Walk Route Map - Follow Pink Markings
Route changes: All route changes must now take place on-site when you check in. If you plan to change your route, please arrive based on the check-in time of the route you are changing to (not the route you registered for) and notify the volunteer that you are changing routes.
Directions & Parking
The Reston Town Center is located at 11900 Market St Reston, VA 20190. Get directions to Reston Town Center
When you arrive, please follow the signs for any of the parking garages. View our Parking Map for more details. The closest garages to the site will be BLUE, GREEN & SILVER. There is plenty of free parking on-site for all participants, volunteers, friends, family and supporters.
Schedule of Events
Please plan your arrival to give yourself plenty of time to park, check-in, have something to eat, stretch and be ready promptly at the start time. There will be a brief speaking program prior to the start of each route that will include ride details and safety tips.
6:00 a.m. – 106 Mile Ride Check-In Opens
6:45 a.m. – 106 Mile Ride Opening Ceremony Starts
7:00 a.m. – 106 Mile Ride Starts
7:00 a.m. – 55 Mile Check-In Opens
7:45 a.m. – 55 Mile Ride Opening Ceremony Starts
8:00 a.m. – 55 Mile Starts
8:30 a.m. – 35 & 20 Mile Ride Check-In Opens
9:15 a.m. – 35 & 20 Mile Ride Opening Ceremony Starts
9:30 a.m. – 30 & 20 Mile Starts
9:30 a.m. – 5K Run/Walk Check-In Opens
10:15 a.m. – 5K Run/Walk Opening Ceremony Starts
10:30 a.m. – 5K Run/Walk Starts
11:30 a.m. – Lunch and Live Entertainment Start
11:30 a.m. – Expo and Festival Opens
1:30 p.m. – Awards Program & Living Red Photo & Champion Photo
3:30 p.m. – Festival Closes and Event Ends
What to Bring
- Pack List: Review our Participant Check List to make sure you have everything you need.
- Helmet: Every rider must have and wear a helmet to participate.
- Donations: We will have collection envelopes on-site for any offline donations and matching gift forms. Please note, you will only need to turn in a collection envelope if you are handing in cash/checks.
- Extra set of clothes (optional): There will be air-conditioned bathrooms on-site so pack a set of dry, comfortable clothes (and shoes) that you can change into once you cross the finish line if you wish. Then hang around and enjoy the rest of the post-ride festival.
Before You Ride, Run or Walk
A light breakfast/snacks provided by Mon Ami Gabi, Einstein Bagels.
There will be basic mechanical support provided by Velofix at the start line, but plan to have your bike tuned and ready to ride when you arrive on Saturday.
All participants who meet the $250 fundraising minimum will receive the event t-shirt. Living Red participants at the fundraising minimum will also receive a Living Red jersey or tech shirt.
Participants who qualified for the $500 and $1,000 level gifts by August 17 will be able to pick up their items all day at the event, beginning at 6:00 a.m. and continuing throughout the day.
Everyone can still fundraise to receive their Recognition Gift post-event. Learn more.
Should you run into any problems on the route, please call our Command Center at 470-371-3377. Program the number into your cell phone now so you are all set for Saturday.
In the case of a medical emergency, call 911. Please then call the Command Center at 470-371-3377 to provide details.
Event Site Map
You can view the site layout to familiarize yourself with the event. Restrooms will be located in the Guest Center to the right of the Pavilion.
If there is anything you need while on-site, please stop by our Volunteer Tent or Registration or look for one of our staff members in ADA/Tour gear. They will be more than happy to assist and direct you or your friends or family at Reston Town Center.
Once You Cross the Finish Line
- Lunch: Our post-ride lunch will be provided by Subway. Lunch is free for participants and volunteers.
- Post-Ride Festival: There will be a live band, exhibitors, vendors, games, activities, awards ceremony and more!
- Beer Garden: The Beer Garden will be open to those that are 21 years and older and have raised their $250 fundraising minimum. Beer will be provided by Caboose Brewing. You will need to keep your wristband that you received during check in and show your ID at the gate of the garden.
- Activity Zone: The Tour de Cure: NOVA is a family friendly event. Come enjoy games, giveaways, face painting and more!
- Event Photos: Visit our Tour de Cure backdrop to get your photo taken by the Lunch Area. All pictures will be posted online following 1-2 weeks after the event!
- Group Photo:
- We invite all Red Riders, Red Striders and Red Runners to gather for a group photo following the awards ceremony at 2:15 p.m. Help us cheer them on!
- We invite all Champion fundraisers to gather for a group photo following the awards ceremony at 2:15 p.m. Help us cheer them on!
Day of event volunteers should plan to arrive 15-30 minutes before your scheduled shift and check-in at the Volunteer Tent to receive your volunteer shirt, lunch wristband and instructions for your volunteer location and captain. With the exception of rest/water stop volunteers, please report to your designated area, not the venue.
Any walk-on volunteers must turn in a completed waiver with emergency contact info, health care provider info, and sign and date the bottom. Volunteers under the age of 18 must also have a parent/guardian sign and date the waiver.